Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Not how I'd planned

It all went to pot.

New Guy wanted to talk about feelings and he ended up telling me he felt we were leaning more towards friendship and nothing more than that. He said he really likes me, enjoys spending time with me, looks forward to my replies to his texts and emails but only thinks we're leaning towards friendship.

Wow, he texts, emails and invites me out a silly amount and he's just not that into me!!!!!

I didn't see that one coming, I knew we were at risk of hitting the friendzone but I hadn't realised we'd already hit it.

So, I said to him now my time to be honest. I wouldn't spend this much time with someone that I'm not hoping it might progress with - apart from Jerkboy who's my male best friend but I don't want another Jerkboy. I told him that we could still be friends but the alone time would have to stop. He wasn't particularly happy with the alone time having to stop but agreed.

Then we continued to have drinks and had a very funny night. He was telling me about him and his sister when they were kids they played an alternative guess who. Remember the game guess who? Well he was like we'd play it by asking different questions like "is yours someone who would consider a same sex snog" or "would your person collect stamps for fun". I found myself laughing along and having just a really enjoyable rest of our evening.

On the way home in the car he says "I have a confession to make - I've looked through all of your facebook profile pics and think you look pretty in this one and this one and this one" he described all the pics. Then as I pulled up outside his door he said "lets do this again some time".

I looked at him confused - "haven't we just agreed that we're not going to spend alone time together" - my hand was on the gear stick ready to drive off. He put his hand on my hand and then looked at me "Gretta I really really like you, and really enjoy spending time with you, we've had a great evening tonight regardless of the conversation but I don't want to lead you on and I want to do the right thing". My response was "in that case, you need to back off".

With that he got out of my car.

Here I am sat at work after a text conversation with him. The last thing I said to him was back off, but he sends me a text asking if I'd looked at the photos he was talking about on facebook to see which ones they were. To which I replied saying "I know which ones they were".

Then he sent me another text asking how my day was going and trying to play guess who by text, before I'd even replied he'd sent me another text and another text. He'd sent me 3 texts before I'd even replied - his texts were things like "do you think Bill would have a same sex relationship" "which guess who characters would collect garden gnomes"

In the end I sent him this

"New Guy I really appreciated your honesty yesterday and I do want to be friends, I know you're having a bit of fun with the guess who thing and it is funny. We are friends but you need to back off isn't that what we decided last night"

His reply:

"No worries -sorry, I had just hoped a bit of light-hearted banter would make things a little less awkward. Sorry for being insensitive. Most probably see you at the pub Sunday night."

I'm actually ok with it all. I'd rather know now then weeks down the line when I'm in too deep. Which I'm at risk of being because he was contacting me daily. All the books you read tell you if a guy texts, emails, calls, asks you out then he's in to you, he's interested fact, but his words were telling me one thing and his actions another. I've decided to believe his words. I know actions speak louder than words but at the moment all I can hear are the words and they tell me he just sees us as friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scotty said...

Friends make the best relationships

8:25 AM  
Blogger stillarockstar said...

Bummer, but ugh, know the feeling. Sorry it's not what you want, but thankfully it's early so you're hurt LESS later...

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home