Monday, March 24, 2008

Because pictures aren't enough...

So, Paris.

Arrived in Gay Paris at approximately 10.30am on the Saturday, jumped into a taxi to the hotel. The hotel was basic but in the most perfect location. Not even 2 mins from the nearest metro, and the metro line was the line that included the Eiffel Tower and the Arch de Triomphe. EXCELLENT LOCATION, BLOODY EXCELLENT.

We settled ourselves in and then as my sister had never been to Paris and I had, I suggested the first thing we see is The Eiffel Tower. I mean seriously isn't it what everyone associates with Paris. So, we headed towards it and got some good snaps, and then we went to the Arch De Triophe and pottered our way down the Champs Elesse. Beautiful, weather at this point was fantastic and we headed towards the Lourvre. My sis wasn't bothered about going inside and I did it last time and got lost in the place, so wasn't bothered either, I know full well the only piece of art I recognise in the place is the Mona Lisa and it seems that everyone seems to gather round that anyway.

We then headed to the Notre Dame area. The streets around there were so Parisian, it was simply beautiful and we stopped to drink beer and people watch, it started to rain at this point to so it was good to be under cover.

After a rather packed day, we headed back to the hotel to get ready to go out for evening. There was a rather nice restaurant just down the road from the hotel so we went there for food, and that's where I had snails. My sister a strict vegetarian had other stuff including goats cheese. I need meat so I really wasn't paying much attention to what she was eating. We had a 3 course meal here and the food was irresistable.

I don't usually like the French, however, in this restaurant there were 2 rather dishy waiters/barmen and they certainly took a shine to me and my sister, we very much enjoyed the male attention and got the impression that they very much enjoyed the attention from us ;).

The next day we got breakfast in the hotel which was continental and french, breads, jams, cheeses couissants etc.. After filling up, we headed to the Monmartre area. We went to visit the Sacre Couer. Stunning outside and inside. That place is spectacular there is no other way to describe it, and just observing people as they pray and light candles it was certainly an interesting experience.

After being in such a sacred place it kind of felt a little wrong to find ourselves in the red light district looking up at the Moulin Rouge. However, I soon started to sing "come what may" from the film much to my sister's embarrassment.

I also wanted to show my sister the industrial area, where all the skyscrapers are as I've always thought it gives a different feel to Paris, so we then headed to La Defense on the metro and I got to show her the Grand Arch (which I think it pretty darn impressive) and the BIG THUMB. Last time I was there I met 2 rather dashing gentleman by the big thumb and we had some fun together, but I was young and foolish at the time. There were no dashing gentleman this time round.

My sister had a stinking cold so after spending some time in the La Defense area, she wanted to head back to the hotel for a sleep. We headed back to the hotel but I just wasn't settled staying there for the afternoon, it kind of seemed a bit pointless. So, I left my sister sleeping and went for a long walk around the outskirts of the Eiffel Tower, just strolling and observing the tourists adn the locals a like. This was probably my best moment of the weekend, it was beautiful just being able to soak it all and get the feel for a Sunday afternonn/early evening in Paris.

When I got back we decided to wait until it was a bit later before going out so we could get to see the Eiffel Tower and the Arch De Triomphe at night. I think that is when Paris is at it's most romantic when everything is bright and yellow in colour. Paris at night is simply stunning.

After seeing them at night we decided to have dinner in an Italian Restaurant on the Champs Elesse, this time I just went for Pizza, no snails that night. After dinner we headed back to the area where our hotel was and we went back to the bar from the previous night, the 2 hotties were there and we flirted some more with them over cocktails.

The next morning, we got up early to avoid the queues and we caught the lift to the top of the Eiffel Tower to see the views. It was bloooming freezing I tell you, my ears I thought they were going to drop off they stung so bad! The views spectacular, even though it wasn't the clearest of days you could still see so much.

We then headed back to the hotel, packed up our belongings and caught the train to the airport.

The end of what was a wonderful weekend in Gay Pareeee!

3 Comments:

Blogger bondibetty said...

That sounds like the perfect weekend in Paris.. I'm having a bunch of flashbacks now!

OH: And tell me about this holiday to Africa!!!!

3:37 PM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

no jazz?

1:18 AM  
Blogger Gretta James said...

Betty dear - I'll get to Africa

and CS No Jazz, but... there were accordian players on the metro!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home